This list is not exhaustive, but after traveling to a different WordCamp almost every weekend for the past 6 months, these are some things that occurred to me as I sit here on this plane.
- Always smell your “clean” hotel towels BEFORE you dry your face.
- Many local craft beers are just not good. You have to try a lot of bad ones before you find the diamond in the rough.
- It took 6 months of travel almost every weekend to finally qualify for Sky Priority on Delta.
- Biggest benefit of Sky Priority? I can use the bathroom right when I get on the plane so I don’t have to get up during the flight.
- Full-size laptops are impossible to use with the seat back tray. T-Rex arms all the way.
- If you order a beer on the flight, there’s a 50/50 chance the flight attendant will give it to you for free because it’s a pain for them to use the mobile CC reader AND if you’ve had the opportunity to be friendly when boarding.
- You can check your roller bag free of charge if you do it at the gate.
- Airport food is mostly terrible. A few exceptions were Vienna, TGI Friday’s in Atlanta, and the BBQ place in Birmingham.
- Bring your own bottle for water refills. You can bring empty bottles through security.
- Podcasts are awesome.
- Get an Amazon Prime account and use the Amazon Video app on your phone. Pre-download series and movies and you’ll be good to go.
- I really need to buy over the ear headphones for comfort. In-ear ones for several hours at a time make my ears hurt all weekend.
There’s probably more, but the plane I’m sitting in is pushing back ready to leave Omaha.